[xdebug-general] Re: Fw: Re: Xdebug Eval is dangerous

From: Darien Hager <darien[@]etelos.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:13:50 -0800

Dave Kelsey wrote:

> Darien, that is certainly an interesting idea, but I don't want to be
> dependent on a php extension as it may not be available on some php
> implementations, but thanks for the suggestion.
Hrm. Well, it could be a purely optional step in guarding against unsafe
breakpoint expressions: The checkEval function could just test the
return of extension_loaded('tokenizer') and if it's not loaded, return
early without errors.

While the tokenizer extension is standard on PHP.net 4.3.0+, this would
allow it to degrade gracefully even if used against another
implementation e.g. Quercus.

Of course, it may be possible for Xdebug to implement something similar
with the tokenizer library, but I have no experience interacting with it
except through it's exposed PHP functions.

--
Darien Hager
Developer