[xdebug-general] XDebug+Vim Tutorial

From: Sam Ghods <sam[@]box.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 04:16:40 -0700

Hi all,

My name is Sam Ghods, and I work at Box.net. We develop our PHP code
on a Linux server that our developers share, and we generally use Vim
to write code. So we've been looking a way to integrate XDebug into
this process without resorting to a command line client or an IDE. I
found a python XDebug client that plugs into Vim, but it had stopped
being maintained and setting it up was pretty confusing.

I worked at it and finally got it all up and working, but it had some
tricky turns. So I repackaged the Vim script with some fixes, and
wrote a blog article detailing the steps I took to set it all up. You
can find it here:

http://tech.blog.box.net/2007/06/20/how-to-debug-php-with-vim-and-
xdebug-on-linux/

It basically explains how to set up PHP, XDebug, Vim and Apache so
you can debug your code right in Vim (see a screenshot of what that
looks like here: <http://tech-blog.box.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/
dbgp-client-in-vim.png>).

Hope this is helpful for some of you guys! It's made debugging our
code a million times easier. We'd also like to extend a huge thanks
to the XDebug team -- it's a great product and is really speeding our
development. Thanks!

----
Sam Ghods
sam[@]box.net