[xdebug-general] Re: xdebug remote callback

From: Brian Shire <shire[@]php.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:22:39 -0800

On Nov 3, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Derick Rethans wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Brian Shire wrote:
>
>> I believe there was a post on this already, but I'm unable to find
>> it in the
>> archives. I currently use a patched version of xdebug that allows
>> me to
>> configure it to automatically connect to the client initiating the
>> connection.
>> This is useful in a closed development environment with multiple
>> developers
>> using the same server. I believe there where some security
>> concerns about
>> implementing this, but I wanted to check and see if perhaps this
>> is a patch
>> that you would want to consider integrating into the code base
>> (albeit
>> disabled by default).
>
> There is already a method in the protocol that facilitates
> functionality
> like this: the DBGp proxy. Because if that I don't think I'd want
> to add
> code that circumvents this.

We considered this proxy when first looking at using xdebug, however
I we felt that the proxy setup was too cumbersome to setup on our 13+
development machines. The client of choice would also be required to
support connecting to the proxy. It was much easier for us to just
set a config option and have the server connect back to whichever
client initiated the connection. That said, I could see the proxy
being a better solution for some other situations too.

> I am also wondering as to which client you are using to debug with
> Xdebug. Could you enlighten me on that?

This is for a team of approx. 50+ developers, so we've worked with a
variety of options and would like to make any of them available
depending on preference, the our three main recommendations being:

Komodo
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

TS Web Editor:
http://tswebeditor.tigris.org/