[xdebug-dev] Adding -d Parameter to `eval` Command

From: Max Sherman <jonaldislarry[@]fb.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 18:08:45 +0000

The current description for XDebug’s eval command is (emphasis mine)

Evaluate a given string within the current execution context. A property element MAY be returned as a child element of the response, but the IDE MUST NOT expect one. The string being evaluated may be an expression or a code segment to be executed. Languages, such as Python, which have separate statements for these, will need to handle both appropriately.

There’s no real reason to have this restriction, and I think we should allow evaluation at any stack depth, defaulting to the current frame. I propose a new optional parameter `-d` to specify the stack depth, defaulting to 0.

Max Sherman